Eastern Cape, ALBANY district, Grahamstown, Salem, Methodist Church, cemetery
Salem is a settlement about 20 km South of Grahamstown and 20 km north of Alexandria. It was founded as a settlement of the party of 1820 settlers under Hezekiah SEPHTON. The name is of Biblical origin (Gen. 14:18) and means "peace"; the local application refers to an incident in which Richard GUSH succeeded in securing peace with marauding Xhosas by means of a sermon, and gifts of tobacco and pocket knives. The original foundation stone of the church was laid by WH MATTHEWS J.P. on 18 July 1850. The church hall bears the date of 1832.
Album incomplete not all the headstones were photographed.
eGGSA captions by: Marielle Ford, Marie Greyvenstein, Gail Röthlin, Alex van Niekerk & Wilna Eygelaar.
Additional information available on the GGSA Cemetery DVD:-
Cemetery ID: 454
No of names: 274
Google Earth Project Information:-
GPS: -33 28.270, 26 29.149
Date: 27 Nov 2009
Contributed by: eGGSA
Size: 146 items
(210 items total)